The focus is on the development of the ‘whole’ person. We aim to lead and stimulate our pupils to develop their full potential – intellectually, physically, socially, spiritually, emotionally, morally and aesthetically. Our programme reflects and supports ‘Helping Children Achieve More’ and is closely interwoven with the teachings of the Catholic Church.
PSHEE allows for personal growth through a planned educational programme which enables pupils to become healthy, independent and responsible members of society.
We encourage pupils to play a positive role in contributing to the life of the School and the wider community. These activities, both inside and outside the classroom, are valuable learning experiences and allow pupil to develop their sense of self-worth as well as teaching them about their responsibilities. They learn to appreciate what it means to be a positive member of a diverse multicultural society.
Principles and Values
St Augustine’s Priory believes that PSHEE should:
- Allow pupils to understand and value themselves as individuals and as responsible and caring members of society in line with Gospel Values of Truth, Justice, Compassion and Forgiveness.
- Develop a student’s knowledge and understanding of what constitutes a healthy lifestyle and be aware of safety issues.
- Promote independent and active members of the School and local community.
- Develop self-confidence and self-esteem, and assist students to make informed choices regarding personal and social issues.
- Develop good relationships with other members of the School and the wider community.
- Encourage students and teachers to share and respect each other’s views.
- Recognise that the wider community has much to offer and we aim to work in partnership with relevant professionals and other School partners to deliver this.
- Encourage respect for others regardless of race, gender and mental and physical disability.
PSHEE is delivered by Form Tutors and supplemented by a variety of engaging outside speakers.